Wednesday, June 20, 2007

So it's been a while...yet again.

I am taking a summer class - Elementary Statistics - with my husband. We are actually enjoying it. He has to take it and I'm just doing it for an elective. I loved algebra in high school, and this stuff is so much algebra. It just comes naturally, which is really nice. All of my political science classes are very analytical, very thought-provoking. It's nice to take a class that I'm enjoying without having to think too hard to do well.

I'm also taking an English elective online. It's entitled Studies in Fiction. We are reading many books that I have never heard of, writing many papers, and just generally having to analyze a whole lot of stuff! It's kind of turning into a difficult class...unfortunately.

My dad, Panhandle Poet, has been writing a lot about music lately. Growing up, music was completely ingrained into me. I took piano lessons for umpteen years, always had a piano, always had music in general around me. Mom and Dad both are very musical, and my younger brother and I both, thankfully, inherited this lovely talent. Some of my most favorite memories are sitting at the piano with Dad behind me on the guitar, just singing and playing. We could do it for hours! It didn't even matter what...hymns from the hymn book, Eagles, George Strait, Steven Curtis Chapman, all different stuff. Sometimes, he'd just sit there and name off stuff for me to play while he listened. He and Mom were my biggest fans and playing for them was always fun. Now that I'm married and in a different town, playing the piano for them has become a challenge. I don't ever feel prepared or good enough anymore because I don't get to practice as often. It's a quandry I haven't quite figured out how to solve yet. Someday, I want to make a cd of me playing or playing/singing for them...it'd be a great tribute to all their hard work, sacrifice, and time spent on me and my piano-playing fingers. Someday...

3 comments:

That Janie Girl said...

I loved the post about your dad listening to you play piano.

I grew up playing piano and I can only imagine...

Nice to meet you!

Chris McClure aka Panhandle Poet said...

If they only knew how good you really are....

Anonymous said...

We have a piano my wife had when we got married. It has been hauled all over the world. My wife taught my daughter to play. Now my daughter is off in Canada at school, but someday maybe she will come back and get the piano.I'd like to pass it along to her so she could teach her kids some day.